- Serving Size:   2
- Gluten-Free:   True
- Weight Watcher Points:   14
- 1 cup Fava beans, shelled, blanched, and shelled again, from about 18 - 20 pods
- 1/4 - 1/3 cup Fresh mint, leaves only, loosely packed
- 2 tablespoons Raw almonds, plus more for garnish, if desired
- ¼ cup Parmesan-Reggiano, grated
- Lemon, zest of 1 and juice of 1/2, or more if it is not a particularly juicy one
- ½ teaspoon Sea salt
- ½ teaspoon Fresh ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon Crushed red pepper
- ¼ cup Extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon Filtered water
Place all ingredients in a mini food processor. Blend for two minutes or until pesto has reached a smooth, creamy texture. If the pesto is too thick, add an additional teaspoon or two of water. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
Notes: This dish is naturally vegetarian and gluten-free. Those with nut allergies can substitute sunflower seeds for the almonds. This fava bean, almond, and mint pesto can be made up to three days ahead when kept properly refrigerated (if making in advance, be sure you have plenty of willpower, or make a double batch for yourself).